14 April, 1982 at Bicester Town Sports Ground

Charlton (3) 3 -  Souldern (1) 1

Referee: B. Keys Linesmen: Unknown

Charlton: D. Thomas C. Sandy G. Cooper D. Cooper (c) R. Price D. Nutt M. Markham B. Cooper P. Woodward K. Honour B. Watson

Charlton Scorers: Dave Nutt 1 Barry Cooper 1 Unknown (og) 1

Souldern: Unknown

Souldern Scorers:  John Lillis 1


Charlton United won the Jersey Cup for the first time in the club’s 58-year history, and on only their second final appearance. By half-time, the match with Souldern looked set for a high score. But as matters turned out, all the goals came in the first period of play, with Charlton running out 3-1 winners.

The teams were presented to the president, Eric Roderick, chairman Ron Hayes and the treasurer Brian Sansome before they got down to business.
In only the fourth minute, poor calling in the Souldern defence allowed Dave Nutt a simple near post header from Paul Woodward’s long throw and Charlton were a goal up.

Souldern struck back quickly, forcing Derek Thomas to palm the ball over his goal. He then failed to cut out a corner and John Lillis headed it over him to level the score.

Charlton then had their best spell and went 2-1 up when a good passing move came to Woodward, whose cross was turned into goal by a defender. Souldern worked their way back into the game, with Paddy Horner effective in attack and Kevin Riley just missing chances. Then a back pass fell to close too Barry Cooper, who ran in and timed his efficiently struck goal nicely to foil the keeper and a defender. A similar situation fell to Cooper later, but he overran it, allowing Eddie Andrews to save. At the interval the score stood at 3-1.

In the second half, Charlton were less incentive to attack and also considerable Souldern pressure. Uncomplicated big clearances broke down Souldern attacks and their best attempts were saved. Charlton were always ready to sprint for the break and they could have gone further ahead. Paul Bates got through but could not connect and in the dying minutes Ian Moggridge blasted a shot over the bar. The cup was bound for Charlton, whose supporters had a bus draped with streamers and balloons, as well as the usual banners.

back to match report

website by The Red Works