1 May, 1925 at Bicester Sports Ground

Kirtlington (0) 0 -  Souldern (1) 1

Referee: J. D. Dance Linesmen: W Clifton W. Smith

Kirtlington: W. Scarrott C. King A. East P. East E. Palmer G. Edgington A. Giles L. Norridge J. Edgington J. Enser F. Loft

Kirtlington Scorers:

Souldern: F. Humphies R. Westbury S. Bates M. Westbury B. Reeve A. Bates T. Callow J. Westbury F.J.Wise B. Westbury S. Callow

Souldern Scorers:  B. Westbury 1

Another record was broken on Saturday at Bicester, when the final of the Jersey Cup was played between Kirtlington and Souldern, for there were about 1400 people present, including children, the gate receipts amounting to £31 - 9s - 6p. As anticipated, Souldern won, but only by a goal margin of one. The arena was quite picturesque with the fresh grass, the spotless white shirts of the Kirtlington team, and the distinct magpie colours of Souldern.
The game was officiated by three county referee's: Mr J. D. Dance in control, and Messrs W. Clifton and W. Smith as linesman.

Kirtlington won the toss, and Loft chose to have the assistance of the wind during the first half. Yet Souldern were soon attacking, and their left wing gained a corner, which was placed behind. S. Bates then checked the Kirtlington right, and passed to his forwards. Wise eventually received, and his shot just missed the target. Kirtlington improved as the game advanced, but the only dangerous shot put in for a time was by Norridge. A Free kick cleared the Souldern lines and there were some exciting exchanges near the Kirtlington goal. P. East was a good spoiler, but often he found the Souldern left wing too good for him, Callow being tricky and fast, whilst B. Westbury used his weight to advantage. The Latter got the ball into the net after the whistle had gone for off-side. S. Callow got in a fine centre, which J. Westbury put over the bar. Souldern were having so much more of the game than Kirtlington that their supporters cheered them with the remark "It’s a walk over for you." But it wasn't. The Kirtlington defence was hard pressed for a time. Scarrott saved from J. Westbury, M. Westbury had a shot charged down, and Scarrott conceded a corner from a dropping shot by Reeve. The corner was well placed, and Scarrott punched away. The Kirtlington forwards were given very little rope, and M. Westbury effectively bottled up their captain, although I did not particularly care for some of the methods he used. The Souldern goalkeeper had to save from a long shot, and then came the only goal of the match. B. Westbury had the ball and took it close to the goal. Wise was waiting for his pass, which seemed the obvious thing for Westbury to do. The inside left, however, positioned the ball, and beat Scarrott with an unstoppable shot.

Straight from the kick-off, Kirtlington attacked with vigour, and several shots were put in. The most dangerous situations came from overhead kicks. Humphies punching away on two occasions. Eventually "Duchy" Bates cleared. Kirtlington attacked again, and Giles put in a high shot, which the wind curled round the post. Souldern replied by forcing a corner, and then Kirtlington centreforward caused Humphies to handle. S. Callow had a fine run and centre, and Scarrott cleared. The ball was quickly taken to the other end, and Humphies ran out to clear. The ball was returned into the goalmouth with the custodian away, but the target was missed. Kirtlington almost scored a few minutes later, when Humphies punched away on three occasions and gave a corner. This was about the nearest Kirtlington came to scoring throughout the match. Their forwards never attempted to take the ball close in, and kicked forward from impossible scoring positions. On the other hand the Souldern forwards played football. Wise was certainly useless in the centre - anno domini is telling its tale - except that he kept the forwards in their places.

Reeve was conspicuous for a time at centre-half for Souldern, who had much the better of the play till the interval. Wise had one or two opportunities to score, but the ball was too lively for him to control. Kirtlington looked dangerous from a corner, but Humphies punched away. The Interval came with Souldern leading by a goal to nil.

As the "Magpies" had been playing against the wind during the first half, and had bulk of the play, an easy victory appeared in sight for them. But this was not the case, for as a matter of fact Kirtlington had more of the game than their opponents, though there was no cohesion in the forward line. The Lillywhites certainly opened well without becoming really dangerous. M. Westbury relieved matters with some nice runs. He, however, seemed out of place at right-half, though I suppose he had a watching brief over F. Loft. From a free kick Enser headed over, and later A. East hit the bar, and M. Westbury headed a corner. Palmer also had a good shot saved by Humphies. Souldern next got dangerous from a couple of free kicks. T. Callow also had a shot which struck the upright. B. Westbury was tripped just outside the penalty area. M. Westbury took the kick, but the ball was cleared. Souldern again attacked, and B. Westbury saved the ball from going over the line, and made a perfect centre, from which only a corner resulted.

Kirtlington made one gallant effort to equalise in the closing stages, but for the last ten minutes there was very little in the play. As the whistle blew, with Souldern winners by a goal to nil, a cheer went up, or the supporters of Souldern seemed to be in the ascendancy. It had been one of the best Jersey Cup finals I have seen, the standard of football having greatly improved. An interested spectator was Mrs Westbury, who had four sons playing in the Souldern team. "Our Mil played against Aston Villa last week" she proudly observed.

Immediately on the conclusion of the match, the cup was presented to the captain of the winning team, F. Humphies, by Lord Greville. His Lordship regretted that the Earl of Jersey was unable to attend through ill-health. He congratulated the winners on their victory, as they always liked to see new teams appearing on the list of winners. He congratulated both sides on the good game they had played. It had been a very clean game with very few fouls.

Medals were presented to each of the winning team and the runners-up.
On behalf of the Souldern club, Major Wise congratulated Kirtlington on the sporting game they had played, Kirtlington had been very unlucky in appearing in so many finals consecutively without winning. He hoped the two teams would meet next year in the final, and that Kirtlington might have the luck to win the cup.

On behalf of the Lord Jersey Football Association, he wished to thank Lord Greville for presenting the cup and medals and also for his interest in the game that afternoon.

The teams and officials were afterwards entertained by the Jersey Cup Association to a meat tea at the White Hart. The cup was filled and handed round to the company. Major Wise made a suitable speech before handing the cup to the Kirtlington captain for the first drink.

back to match report

website by The Red Works