10 April, 1985 at Bicester Town Sports Ground

Kirtlington (1) 2 -  Ardley (1) 1

Referee: R Bradshaw Linesmen: Unknown

Kirtlington: Hayes Courtney McDonough Darch Knight Palmer Lamb Allen Nelson Lomas Wearing Wilkingson.

Kirtlington Scorers: John Nelson 1

Ardley: Jeacock Dick Wagner Gow Simpson Barker Starrett Wells O’Donoghue Porter Winstone Beasley

Ardley Scorers:  Rob Porter 1 Kevin Allen 1


Lord Jersey Cup favourites Ardley were said to have trained at nine in the morning and eaten a steak brunch in preparation for their cup final.
However, underdogs Kirtlington kept their hunger until captain Paul Palmer picked up the silver trophy in the afternoon. Kirtlington won 2-1 and outplayed Ardley in every department, with the crowd vocal in support of the “Lillywhites”
Kirtlington had the better of the exchanges with the blustery wind behind them. They went a goal up from a free kick, John Nelson hitting the ball sweetly into the top right hand corner of the net. Another hard Nelson shot was tipped round the post.

Ardley threatened down the right wing, where Joe O’Donoghue and Starrett were getting through. O’Donoghue whisked past a defender and crossed excellently for Rob Porter to head in the equaliser

Ardley hoped to benefit from the wind after the interval but ten minutes into the half, a bad defensive pass gave Kirtlington’s Kevin Allen an opportunity in front of goal, which he seized up before striking the ball home.

Kirtlington had to defend determinedly to keep the lead. Peter Winstone should have made more of a poor goalkick, goalkeeper Derek Hayes got his body well behind the ball and pulled off some good saves, while Peter McDonough had an outstanding game at right back.

Hayes bravery eventually cost him an injury and he was carried off with torn ligaments when there were just two minutes to play.

By then Ardley were out of ideas. Soon time also ran out, and Kirtlington carried away the cup for the tenth time in the club’s history.

back to match report

website by The Red Works