12 April, 1912 at Middleton Park

Kirtlington (0) 1 -  Bletchington (0) 0

Referee: F.E. Bryan Linesmen: W. Smith W. Clifton

Kirtlington: E.R. Norridge F. Woodley E.R. East W. Scarrott A. Harrison W. Walton R. Edgington A. East L. Kirtland E. Edgington G. Wickson

Kirtlington Scorers: A. East 1

Bletchington: S. Savin T. Morris B. Childs A. Taylor A. Ward A. Howe J. Timms A. Herbert R. Collett, J. Taylor B. Read,

Bletchington Scorers: 


Glorious weather favoured the meeting of Kirtlington and Bletchington at Middleton Park on Saturday, in the replay for the above cup. There did not appear to be quite such a large crowd present as that which visited the Park on March 16, when, after an extra half-hour, the issue was left undecided, each team having obtained one goal. On Saturday the game proved just as even, and it was not until late in the second half when the score-sheet was opened by Kirtlington, but from then to the finish the result was in doubt, the Bletchington forwards causing their opponents defence plenty of anxiety. Bletchington did not succeed in drawing level, however, and the whistle went with Kirtlington the possessors of the cup. There was only one change in each team, but the positions of several players were altered. A. East appeared instead of A. Calcutt, and A. Howe was substituted for M. Howe. Perhaps the best change was putting R. Collett on the right of the Bletchington goalkeeper, for he makes a much better back than forward. Mr F.E. Bryan was the referee, and the linesman were the same as at the previous match, viz, Messrs W. Clifton (Bicester) and W. Smith (Ambrosden). Both teams came under the eye of the photographer, and immediately after this business the whistle called the players into position.

L. Kirtland inspired great satisfaction into his supporters by winning the toss, and the Bletchington team were called upon to combat against a furious wind. At the onset Taylor conceded a corner which was well placed by A. East, the Kirtlington outside left. The Goalkeeper cleared, and the ball was returned a trifle wide by Woodley. The Bletchington right wing was checked when well up the field, and on another occasion a centre from Herbert resulted in a goal-kick. J. Taylor, who wrought great havoc with the Kirtlington defence in the previous match, was well marked to make any headway, and his movements were judiciously shadowed by the Kirtlington defenders throughout the match. A. Harrison, centre-half for Kirtlington, was kept very busy by the Bletchington forwards, but generally managed to send the ball well up the field, and altogether the Kirtlington defence was of an exceptionally high standard. On the other hand, the Bletchington defenders came in for great praise by keeping the ball low and steady against the formidable wind. The Kirtlington wing men middled the ball well, and many exciting moments were experienced in front of the Bletchington goal. On one occasion L. Kirtland got through, and effected a shot a yard wide, although hampered by both defenders. A lengthy stoppage was necessitated through an injury to the Bletchington captain, who was the mainstay of the team, playing at centre-half. Sturdily built, this player stopped all corners, and his speciality was hard kicking. A good movement by the Bletchington forwards culminated in a cross shot, which went outside the upright, about level with the cross-bar, with Norridge ready for any emergency. This goalkeeper cleared another shot, and at the other end a free-kick was awarded to Kirtlington, just outside the penalty area. Harrison sent in a beautiful shot, which shaved the cross-bar and went over. This proved the last exciting incident of an interesting first half, and the whistle went with no goals scored.

The opening of the second half savoured of the sensational order, for in the first minute or so a splendid centre by R. Edgington narrowly missed being turned to account by Kirtland, standing unmarked, who just failed to reach the ball with his head. In another attack by the Kirtlington forwards, Savin was called upon to clear an easy shot, and the ensued a long period of idleness for either goalkeeper. This was due to the fine work of the respective defences and some good midfield play by the halves. Bletchington appeared to have a splendid chance of victory, seeing that their opponents had been unable to score with the wind in their favour; but Kirtlington proved capable of holding their own just as well as Bletchington had done under similar circumstances. The Kirtlington left back, East, was laid out when attempting to clear, and a lengthy stoppage ensued. On the resumption of play, Norridge saved a low shot from close in (when a goal looked certain), much to the jubilation of the Kirtlington section of the crowd, and on another occasion the ball slithered off a defenders head, only to be arrested by the alert goalkeeper. The Kirtlington left wing had done several creditable things, and, in another strenuous attack, the inside left was laid out for a brief period. A corner was forced on the Bletchington right which proved futile, and hereabouts, an unexpected goal was obtained by Kirtlington. A shot was sent in by A. East, and the goalkeeper appeared to have an easy clearance, but put his foot over the ball, and the leather rolled just over the line. This point acted as a tonic to the Bletchington forwards, who made strenuous attempts to get on equality. Taylor was very persistent, but the Kirtlington defenders were equally so, and several surrounded him when he got hold of the ball, and a clearance was generally affected. The Kirtlington defence was unbeaten at the end, and the whistle went with the score :

Kirtlington 1, Bletchington nil.

The cup was then handed to the Kirtlington captain by Lord Villiers, who in the absence of Lord Jersey, made the presentation, accompanied by a few well-chosen words. He congratulated the team on its success, which he said was due in no small measure to the able leadership of Mr l. Kirtland. He (Lord Villiers) hoped the competition would long continue, and that anxiety to win and fair play would always go together. Mr L. Kirtland then received the cup, and made a brief speech, and the Bletchington captain responded. The players then adjourned to the pavilion, where an excellent spread was served through the generosity of Lord Jersey.

back to match report

website by The Red Works