24 March, 1911 at Middleton Park

Steeple Aston (0) 3 -  Launton (1) 1

Referee: J. Ray Linesmen: C.H. Ludford G.H. Elliott

Steeple Aston: W. Butler H. Smith H. Stevens G. Hancox P. Regau B. Field G. Franks D. Barrett S. Franks C. Stevens W. Woods

Steeple Aston Scorers: S. Franks 3

Launton: L. Penn W. Lambourne F. Austin J. Massey F.J. Castle G. Carter C. Jeacock R.F. Hawes F.T. Jeacock J. Ancil T. Cox

Launton Scorers:  R.F. Hawes 1

The final of the Jersey League was played at Middleton on Saturday, when Steeple Aston won by three goals to one. The game was fought out at a strenuous pace, and after the allotted ninety minutes both teams had scored once. Launton scored in the first half, and Aston in the second. An extra half-hour was decided upon, and one goal in each quarter-of-an-hour was registered by Steeple Aston, who thus won the cup for the first time. Launton held their own thoughout the game, but were inferior when the work was near their opponents goal, and felt the great strain more than their opponents. The Steeple Aston captain, S. Franks, scored all three goals. As could be expected, the play was not of a very scientific order, but the game was full of good movements by both sides.

Mr J. Ray, of Oxford, was the referee, the linesman being Mr C.H. Ludford (Fritwell) and Mr G.H. Elliott (Middleton).

Launton won the toss, and elected to have the assistance of the breeze. The first thing of note was a shot by S. Franks for Aston, the Launton goalkeeper falling in attempting to clear, but the ball was cleared. Launton took up the field through Cox, who forced a corner. The teams were over anxious, and a few fouls marked the play for a time. The leather went from goal to goal quickly, both goalkeepers saving, and then in an attack on the Aston goal Hawes received, and, from twenty yards out, scored with a dropping shot. This was after twenty minutes. The play, being as yet of a scrambly nature, the defence on both sides prevailed until half-time, when the score stood:

Launton 1 goal, Steeple Aston nil

Aston opened well, and soon after the restart Stevens, their inside left, received on the halfway line. Taking the ball down at a good pace he beat the back and was well placed, but S. Franks ran up and took the ball. Although only about ten yards out he shot inches wide of the goal, a glorious opportunity lost. Following this Launton had a spell of attacking, but could not get near to goal very often. Following a good clearance by Smith, S. Franks equalised. The Aston forwards took the ball down, and the centre forward, tricking an opponent, scored with a fast shot. Launton again attacked, and seem to play a better against the wind, and Cox was responsible for some good runs and centres. The Aston defence, however, prevented dangerous shooting, and it was soon the turn of Aston to attack. This they did persistently, and once Penn stopped a shot, only to find himself covered by the opposing forwards, so he turned the ball adroitly round the post. S. Franks was always on the alert, and the Launton backs had an anxious time to call of time, when the score was one goal each.

Another half-an-hour was then started upon, the teams changing over. Aston attacked, and after four minutes S. Franks, with a dropping shot in the corner of the goal, scored the second point. Launton bucked up considerably, and following two corners for them C. Jeacock worked into position and shot well, the ball striking the foot of the far upright, with Butler well beaten, and rebounding into play.

The men faced about, and a fruitless corner fell to Launton, who sustained the pressure for a few minutes. The Aston forwards again broke away, the Launton defence appearing to be fatigued, and S. Franks scored with a shot which grazed the bar as it went in near the post. Launton took down again, and the Aston goalie was laid out as the result of a plucky collision with Hawes. This was the last episode in an eventful match, which was fought out in good spirit, and Steeple Aston won by three goals to one.

The result was a great blow to Launton, who had looked upon the game as a fairly safe thing for them. And, indeed, there was not much between the teams till it came to the last half-an-hour, when the Aston men withstood the great pressure on them better than their opponents.

The Rev W.H. Draper presented the cup to the Aston captain after the match. It gave him pleasure to present the cup, but he much regretted the absence of Lord Jersey, who was one of the best sportsmen in the country. They had had a good game that day, fought in a friendly spirit. Launton had tried hard, but steeple Aston had won, and, as a vice-president of the Association, it was his pleasing duty to present the cup to the captain of the Aston team.

Mr G. Franks, on behalf of Steeple Aston team, said he thought it was about time that they won the Cup. Launton had given them a good game, and he fought hard for the trophy. He hoped that, if Steeple Aston lost the Cup, it would be to Launton. He asked for three cheers for his Lordship, and their captain, who had got the three goals that day, and who had also got the Cup. (Cheers.) Cheers were also given for Launton.

S. Franks, the Aston captain, and hero of the match, was carried shoulder-high to the pavilion, where the teams sat down to a tea provided by his Lordship.

Unconfirmed Rumours

That Launton was the happiest village in England on Saturday evening.
That Steeple Aston was the most miserable place at the same time.

back to match report

website by The Red Works