23 March, 1900 at Middleton Park

King's Sutton (3) 7 -  Launton (0) 0

Referee: F. Mansfield Linesmen: J. Varney C. H. Grimsley

King's Sutton: Sikes W. Wyatt Twynham J. Cousins T. Kerby G. Wyatt W. Harper W. Meadows F. H. Harper W. Cousins E. Dancer

King's Sutton Scorers: E. Dancer 3 W. Harper 1 G. Wyatt 3

Launton: F. A. Harrison Rev M. Miller A. Hawes C. Castle J. Hawes E. Foster J. Massey A. Massey F. Shouler L. Penn D. Foster

Launton Scorers: 

There have not been so many matches in connection with the Jersey Cup this year as it is usually the case, this being through some teams scratching their matches. The King’s Sutton Club had previously beaten Middleton Stoney by
1 – 0, and Deddington had scratched to them. Launton conquered Bletchington by 3 – 1, and in the semi-final defeated Heyford by 1 – 0. There was a large attendance at Middleton Park on Saturday, where the final tie was played. This was the first season of the Launton club, and though they played pluckily, they were outclassed by King’s Sutton. The game commenced at 3-30.

The King’s Sutton captain raised an objection to C. Castle, who had only one arm, from throwing in. The rule with regard to throwing in says the player shall throw the ball over his head with both hands in any direction. This rule, of course debarred Castle from throwing in, and the objection was allowed. Launton won the toss, and played with the sun at their backs. Early in the game, Castle took a long shot at goal, and Sikes saved. King’s Sutton got down, but Massey returned, and Sikes had another shot to deal with. F. H. Harper obtained possession, and passed to his brother, who shot just over the farthest post. Shouler fouled Harper close to goal, and some exciting play close to Harrison’s charge ended in the ball going behind. Play was then in the Launton half, and G. Wyatt made a good shot, and a centre by the same player resulted in Miller conceding a corner, which was wideley placed, and J. Hawes kicked down the field.

King’s Sutton continued to had the major portion of the play, and another corner was obtained. This proved abortive, and Launton transferred the play to the other end, but Penn held the ball too long, while later on, D. Foster muddled with the ball, King’s Sutton were not long in taking up the aggressive, and Meadows made a weak kick in front of goal, but a corner was conceded. This was well placed, and Harrison brought off a good save at the expense of a corner. Soon after, W. Harper sent very swiftly just over the bar. The Launtians then got down, and tried some long shots, but without any profitable result. F. Harper again received the ball, and passed to his brother, who, however, stepped on the ball when in a good position to shoot. He made amends with a shot which landed on the net. The Launton goal continued to be in jeopardy, and dancer opened the scoring with an excellent shot. Launton started well, but their opponents retaliated, and twice the Launton custodian saved, but a second goal was obtained, dancer again doing the needful. Launton now and then had a look in, but they could not hold their own, and G. Wyatt, Dancer, and H. Harper tried several shots. A corner was conceded from one of the latter’s shots, and Kerby placed the ball splendidly, Launton just managed to keep their goal intact. The Third goal for King’s Sutton was not long in coming. Harrison had stopped a shot from W. Harper, but had not time to throw it out before it was rushed through by Dancer. Both goalkeepers were called upon to save, but no further scoring was done till half-time, the game standing 3 – 0 in King’s Sutton favour.

In the second half Launton fell off considerably, but A. Hawes put in some good work. King’s Sutton shifted their team a good deal in this half, and Kerby and W. Harper went on to the left-wing. F. Harper tried a long shot, and Harrison kicked away. W. Harper, receiving from Kerby, notched the fourth point for the Suttonians. This team showed some good combination, and they had the ball to themselves for a short time, but the final shot went wide. Harrison saved very well several times, as did also Sikes, when the Masseys took up the wing and gave him some stiff work. Kerby and the Harpers tried several shots, but could not find the net. The fifth goal for King’s Sutton was from a splendid shot by G. Wyatt. The Launton defence was given some hard work, and shots were very numerous, but most of them went wide. Those that did go straight were stopped by Harrison, who was several times applauded.
G. Wyatt also scored the sixth goal with another excellent shot, Kerby placed a corner well, and G. Wyatt banged the ball into the net, thus notching the seventh and last point. Both goalkeepers had to kick away, but nothing further was done, and the final score was King’s Sutton, 7; Launton, 0

With regard to the play of the King’s Sutton team, no particular player could be picked out, as they were a very even lot. Their combination was good and their kicking strong. The Launtonians could not be expected to do a lot, and though they kicked strongly the ball did not go to the right place. The individual play was pretty fair, but the forwards lacked combination, and the half-backs did not feed the forwards properly. A. Hawes worked hard at back, but Miller did not do so much as was expected of him. Harrison, in goal, was all that could be desired.

The presentation of the cup then took place on the ground. Lord Jersey, in presenting it to the King’s Sutton captain (Mr Twynham) said: I am very happy to hand you the cup which you and your side has won. The game has been played in a friendly and gallant manner, and I am sure that King’s Sutton have well deserved to win. We have sympathy also with Launton, who have not had the same advantages which some of the other clubs competing for the cup have had. They have struggled gamely and well, and perhaps in the course of time they may do better in the contest. We must remember, though it is very nice to win, that winning is not everything. There is great satisfaction of feeling that one has tried one’s best, although one may not have come out victorious. King’s Sutton has always shown a good example in the field, and I hope that both elevens will always carry out any contests in which they may be engaged with some courage, energy, and perseverance as they have done to-day, no matter in what field they may be called upon to display their energies. (Cheers.)

Mr O. Compton, who has been secretary to the King’s Sutton club for 15 years, responded. He said that this was the third time the King’s Sutton team had won the cup, and wished the Launton club to have success as the King’s Sutton club had had. The teams then adjourned to the pavilion, where the King’s Sutton team was photographed by Mr J. T. Stewart, after which a meat tea was served. At the conclusion, the Rev W. H. Draper spoke of the better spirit coming forward between football teams, and stated that the spectators were mostly to blame, and not the players, for the bad feeling which sometimes existed. He alluded to the gentlemanly game played between King’s Sutton and Middleton in the semi-final, and also the one played that day.

Cheers were given for the Earl of Jersey and the Rev. W. H. Draper.

back to match report

website by The Red Works