8 April, 1892 at Castle Ground, Deddington

Stoke Lyne (1) 1 -  King's Sutton (0) 1

Referee: T Emberlin Linesmen: G. H. Page (Middleton Stoney T. Bennett (Deddington);

Stoke Lyne: W. Massey F. Jeacock J. Nicholls B. Winfield T. Jeacock F Winfield W. Aries ? White ? Hillesden J. Dickenson A. James

Stoke Lyne Scorers: J. Dickenson 1

King's Sutton: W. Tustain A. Jerrams W. Tibbetts G. Kirby (c) A. Kirby A. J. Dancer W. Harper W. Meadows J. Williams J. Dancer W. J. Thomas

King's Sutton Scorers:  J. Thomas 1

The competition final for the above cup took place on the Castle Grounds Deddington, on Saturday afternoon last, April 2nd, in beautiful weather. The event drew forth a large concourse of persons. As was anticipated a stiff encounter was the result of this match, which terminated in a draw, both teams having notched one goal each, after playing the additional half-hour. Consequently the game will have to be played again.

Stoke Lyne were fortunate in kicking down hill with a slight breeze in their favour. The ball had not long been in motion before it was taken into the Sutton goal, and when near the citadel “hands” was appealed for, and several of the “ramblers” stopped from playing, thinking, probably that the whistle had blown; but Dickenson, who was on alert awaiting his opportunity, dashed through with the ball, amidst the boisterous cheers of the company.

On the ball being re-started it was taken into the vicinity of the Stoke goal, where “hands” were given for Sutton. The Stoke goal now looked exceedingly dangerous. A capital shot was sent in, which was averted by Massey, whose excellent defensive play in goal deserves a special mention, for he stopped several extremely difficult shots, for which he was loudly cheered. Stoke then retaliated, Aries dribbling the leather passed his opponents, transferred it to White, who took a shot, which was ineffectual. Stoke now pressed, and Dickenson looked all like scoring, but fortunately he was successfully frustrated by the inevitable back play of Tibbetts, whose mode of kicking the ball was very noticeable, and which drew forth eulogistic expressions from the company. A free kick was given for King’s Sutton, but Stoke were again to the fore, and gained two corners in succession, both of which proved futile. From a free kick the “Ramblers” exhibited some sharp play, who looked like scoring, a good high shot being sent in, only to be saved by Massey, who, perceiving the somewhat dangerous position of his side threw the ball behind the post, thereby enabling King’s Sutton to have the advantage of a corner. From a well-judged kick a sharp shot followed, which went straight for goal, but the quick manipulation of Massey was again shown, thus saving a sure goal.

Stoke then reversed the order of things, keeping the ball well in front of the “Ramblers” goal, making strenuous efforts to augment their score before the intervening period arrived. A corner was at last given for Stoke, the ball being placed immediately in front of the goal, and a shot was made by W. Winfield, which went high above the cross-bar and resulted in a free kick. After a rush into the stoke goal the ball, through the combined efforts of Dickenson, Aries and White, was got within a few yards of the Stoke goal, and a capital attempt was made to score, but the ball went a little too high of the cross-bar. The ball, however, remained in the stoke goal for a period, and a short time a corner fell to King’s Sutton, well centred from a good shot, only to be repulsed by Massey. The Stoke play was here seen to advantage, the active forward play being noticeable, and after several attempts to score a corner was given. F. Winfield was entrusted to the kick, and passed the ball to Dickenson, who made a fruitless try.

Give and take play was the character of the game for the last few minutes when half-time arrived. Stoke leading by one goal. On the cross-over Stoke Lyne at first pressed, several good attempts in succession being made. The Sutton forwards now made a good run into the Stoke half, where the ball was kept for a considerable time. Two good shots were sent in at the goal, but were guarded off by Massey. The Stoke backs experienced a hard time of it, in as much they had to kick the ball out in order to ensure safety of their goal. Subsequently stoke made another effort, and just as they had got the ball near the sutton goal, one of their players accidentally touched the leather, and, of course, put an end to their scoring. An excellent shot was soon afterwards made at the Stoke goal, which struck the cross-bar and rebounded. The ball was kept in close proximity to the goal, and after a short tussle in goal Thomas scored for King’s Sutton amid loud applause, thus equalizing. Upon starting the ball again, each goal in turn looked dangerous, Dickenson on several occasions breaking through the Sutton’s backs; but his efforts were unavailing-he could not score.

Time was called, each team registering one goal each. An extra half-hour was played, with the result that no more goals were scored, consequently the game will have to be played again. The back play of King’s Sutton was far superior to that of stoke, whereas the forward division of Stoke was extremely good, the combination play of that part of the team being a credit to them. The right wing of King’s Sutton was very good, but the left wing was a little defective.

back to match report

website by The Red Works